Wednesday, June 3, 2009

I Fight Authority, Authority Always Wins





I never realized how impossible it is to avoid Google or it's subsidiary properties (YouTube/Blogger) until I left my job there on Monday. I find that one has no viable alternative to the world of Goog. What would you have me do? Use Yahoo or Vimeo?

It wasn't a pretty break-up, though I have no regrets. But it kind of feels like breaking up with say... Angelina Jolie. Which is to say, you can try to put her out of your mind but inevitably you're gonna see her face everywhere and there's nothing you can do about it. That said, my feelings for the Goog are in no way wholly negative. Hey, those bonuses paid for my record!

In the closing months, I found myself watching Office Space quite regularly and listening to the Coug's "Authority Song," as well as FOB's "Sugar We're Going Down." I even added a last minute track called "Queen Bee" to my record to exorcise my corporate demons.

My new goal is to never have to work for someone else again. I think it's doable but will take some hard work and some serious strategery.

I wouldn't say Tom Petty is one of my influences, but I watched the Running Down A Dream doc a few months back and I've found myself inspired ever since. Not on a musical level, but just inspired to stand up for myself and take more risks. When you see Petty's whole story, you realize what a bad-ass he was, especially in the early days. Whenever I find myself swallowing my self-respect or being a total pussy, I ask myself "Would Tom Petty stand for this?" I've done a lot of things in the past couple of years that Petty never would have stood for. But the last couple of months I think I've started doing him proud.

My buddy Mike recently told me he thinks any time you commit to something 100% it always works out. Not sure if that's true, but it's a comforting thought.

No comments: